The History of Our Parish
In 1950, the Archbishop
of Ottawa responded to the need to form an English parish in the
city of Hull and appointed Fr. W.J. Radley to
carry out this mission. Following this mandate, the construction of
a “basement Church” - Our Lady of the Annunciation (OLA)
- was started in the fall of 1951 and completed in the summer of 1952
on a property owned by the then Ottawa Archdiocese at the corner of
Dumas Street and St. Joseph Boulevard. In July,1959, Fr. Radley returned
to St. Margaret Mary's Parish in Ottawa as parish priest. He was replaced
by Msgr. W.G. Fogarty the same month. Msgr. Fogarty was instrumental in
planning and executing the construction of the superstructure. The
first Mass was celebrated therein on December 25, 1960.
The number of families dropped from over 500 at the time of construction,
to less than 300 by 1970, a situation which led to the renting and eventual
sale of the Church structure.
the New Diocese
The creation of the new
Diocese of Hull on April 27, 1963, resulted in the Parish becoming part
of the new Diocese. Bishop Paul-Émile Charbonneau was installed as
the first bishop of the Hull Diocese. He was replaced on March 30, 1974
by Bishop Adolphe Proulx, who later slept in the Lord on July, 22, 1987.
In his place, Archbishop, Roger Ébacher, was nominated Bishop
of Hull on April 6, 1988. He became the metropolitan Archbishop of
Gatineau-Hull on October 31, 1990. Archbishop Paul-André Durocher is our
present Archbishop. He was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI on October 12, 2011.
His installation took place on November 30th of the same year.
Pius XII School
When Msgr. Fogarty
became ill, Father Peter Toth s.f.m. was appointed Assistant Pastor
and in 1973 with Msgr. Fogarty's return to the Ottawa Archdiocese,
Father Peter was named Parish Priest and remained in that position
until 1978 when he returned to his congregation. Bishop Proulx appointed
Father Jean Brunelle as Parish Priest in 1978. During the 1973 to
1982 period, the Parish property on St. Joseph's Boulevard was sold
and Sunday Masses were celebrated in the Pius XII School gymnasium
and weekday Masses were celebrated in the homes of parishioners.
Street, Gatineau (Hull Sector)
The present Church
Centre at 189 Archambault Street, Gatineau (Hull Sector), which
reflects the creative talents of Fr. Brunelle, came into
use with its completion and dedication in September, 1982. Fr. Daniel Kelly
was appointed Parish Administrator in September 2016 and is the current Parish Priest.
Refer to the Pastor tab for a list of
past parish priests.
To all those who
have been devoted to the well being of this lovely parish community,
our homage and prayers. All glory be to God!
-back to top-